Home Care and Services

The Australian Government provides a subsidy to an approved provider of Home Care, such as Cabanda Care to coordinate a package of care, services and case management to meet your individual needs.

Home Care Packages provide more choice and flexibility of care to remain living safely and independently in your own home


There are two main criteria to qualify for Home Care

  • An older person who needs coordinated services to help you stay at home, or
  • A younger person with a disability, dementia, or other care needs not met through other services.

How do I access a Home Care Package?

You should access the government-funded aged care service by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or go to the My Aged Care website and watch the introductory video or read the information.

Feel free to call Cabanda Home Care on 5464 2392 if you need any assistance and we can help guide you through the process.

If you call My Aged Care first, be prepared to answer a few basic questions that may assist them to determine your eligibility. Please note your financial situation will not affect your eligibility. However, eventually you will need to complete a financial assessment to work out exactly how much you may be asked to contribute.

The total amount of a Home Care Package is made up of

  • the Australian Government contribution (the subsidy), and
  • your contribution (the fees you may be asked to pay).

Together, these funds will cover the various home care services you will be entitled to.

Step 1

My Aged Care is the starting point to access Australian Government-funded aged care services:

Feel free to call Cabanda Home Care if you need any assistance and we can help guide you through the process.

My Aged Care will discuss your, health and how you are managing at home and whether you are currently receiving any support. This will assist them to arrange an assessment with you. With your permission, family members, a friend or carer can be with you during the call and can talk on your behalf. You will require your Medicare card.

With the information you give, My Aged Care will advise if you are eligible for a face-to-face assessment. A face-to-face assessment can determine exactly what you need, and can advise you about services you may not have thought about.

Step 2

There are two types of assessment that determine your care needs and what types of care you may be eligible for. Assessments are done in person and at your own home. The assessor will call you to arrange a time to visit

A Regional Assessment Service (RAS)

A home support assessment with an RAS assessor will be carried out to determine what low-level support you require to stay living independently in your own home. This type of support is provided through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). Following the assessment, you will be advised what services you are eligible to receive.

Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)

A comprehensive assessment with an ACAT assessor will determine the type of care you require. ACAT can assess you for the following services:

  • Home Care Packages
  • Short-term restorative care
  • Residential respite care
  • Transition care
  • Residential Aged Care

Following your assessment, you will receive a letter notifying you of their decision, the level of package you have been approved for, the reasons and evidence supporting the decision and a copy of your support plan developed during your assessment.

The letter will include your referral code, which is your key to receiving services. You give this code to your chosen provider. With this code your chosen provider is then able to see your assessment information, support plan and package level.

Remember, you only have 56 days from the date of your letter to enter into a Home Care Agreement with your chosen provider.

Step 3

Contact Cabanda Home Care to discuss your needs. Cabanda Care has been providing Home Care packages for over 20 years. We will work in partnership with you under the Consumer Directed Care approach (CDC) to meet your goals and assessed care needs. This will give you flexibility and choice in the services you receive and by whom. Consumer Directed Care provides you with a personalised budget, monthly income and expense statement your individual Care Plan and Home Care Agreement.

Translating and Interpreting Service

You can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 (TIS National) for support to talk to My Aged Care.

People who have a hearing or speech impairment can contact My Aged Care through the National Relay Service in three easy steps:

1. Visit the National Relay Service website.

2. Select your preferred NRS access point.

3. Provide the My Aged Care phone number – 1800 200 422.

Access help from an advocate through the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN).